Assembling a Rostock MAX 3D Printer

       Here's a not so step by step build of a Rostock MAX 3D printer I assembled recently spending the best part of the last day of 2013 and the first day of 2014.

       Here are some pics I took while building and some things I did that weren't in the assembly instructions and some issues I had during testing. Enjoy!

       Note: The instructions is pretty good at explaining stuff such that the build took a while but isn't as painful as it could have been.


All the stuff unpacked out of the main shipping box.


All melamine parts separated and protective film removed.


This part is at the corner which got damaged during shipping which fortunately was still useable.


Started building the base.


Bins help in keeping the parts in order.


Towers erected.


Top plate attached.


Bins didn't really help. .


Cheapskate bearings and Delta arms attached.


On the operating table ready to be wired up.


After drilling the pilot hole, this is how you prevent the melamine
from splitting when threading with a screw.


Look ma, no splitting.


Only the hot end left to assemble.


Assembly done.


Hot end detail.


It's alive!!!!


Ready to send to it's final work area.


Calibration time.


After messing with the damn thing for over two hours trying to figure out why the feeder motor suddenly woudn't work and now would just jitter
(it did before), after swapping channels to rule out damaged motor drivers,
I found that the feeder motor had an open winding and took it apart.


Oh look, the wire just pulled out.


Look ma, no solder!!! A quick solder job later and it worked like a charm.


Against what the instructions say, I routed the feeder motor wire and wires going to the hot end in the side channels of the towers.
Kept it in place with pieces of hard plastic wedged in between and the rollers travel over it without problems.


The intructions mention of the motor wire noise interfering with the end stop switch wires
so the motor extension wire shield is connected to ground - worked pretty well with no interference issues.


A view of the electronics bay.

       The printer is calibrated and printing but we are still having issues with the nylon material peeling off the work area. Need to do more research and testing on that, but at least, the hard part is over.

Page updated and copyright R.Quan ©4 Jan 2014.